I recently had to transfer a client’s account from Blogger to WordPress. Although I had done as much research as I could beforehand (even tweeted the question out), I was surprised to find at how incomplete the information was out there. I’ve listed all the steps I needed to get this particular site transferred.
- Import from with WordPress using the Import tool
- Convert Categories to Tags using plugin.
- If some of your posts aren’t linked to any categories (even Categorized) use Assign Missing Categories
- Cache Remote Images by using Cache Images
- Export missing data from Blogger, Import to a dummy WP.com account, export missing data, import xml into hosted WP account
I really should write a full post on this since the previous steps don’t explain much. But at least for now you have an idea of the complexity of the process and that a full day’s work is ahead – especially if it’s an image heavy site.